Our farm was assessed and despite our fears, we were doing alright. Big things of mention were our horse manure composting and our cow pen. The cow pen was noted as being too close to the water (as in right up to it). The recommended setback for our usage was 30m.
This has been on my task list since. Given that we only have two (maybe three) cattle at a time, we have not pursued it... until now.
Marc has big plans for the farm. He wants to take the existing blueberry fields and expand them further. In order to open up access to the areas we are pulling up some older fences, much of which is still very reusable. This weekend we pulled up a section of fence which really was not serving a purpose.
|Marc's depiction of our future plant placement.|
|Existing cow pen totalling over 20,000 sq.ft.|
|Rough draft of new cow pen with 30m setback.|
|Rough draft of new cow pen and seasonal pasture.|
I'm stretching it a bit as we have a small stream off of the north part of the pen and it does curve around the fence line. Most of this is uphill from the cow area and we had discussed possible plans to bury it underground via a long culvert.
I have sent this picture off to our adviser to give me suggestions on whether or not this would fit with the recommendations or not. I have also submitted it to the team to see if this is something they can get behind. Odds are I would do the pen first and pasture later as materials permit.
Maybe our cows can be as happy as our environment...
If you are looking for more information on the Environmental Farm Plan mentioned above, check out the following site: